DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

strange problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srs4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: strange problem Reply with quote

Trying to help a friend who got a DPS24 that's giving him some problems that I haven't seen anyone else ever indicate they've dealt with, so I'm at a bit of a loss. His deck would power on all the way to the set clock step, but neither F5 or F6 would get him any further. I had him plug in a PS2 keyboard, and it's F5/F6 worked. In fact, all the QWERTY functions seemed to work (P got him to projects, M to mixer, etc.), though none of this worked on the Akai's buttons. However, none of his faders ever moved while the system was initializing, and even the CD drives open tray button had no effect.

I'm guessing that if he had the dire bad motherboard / your machine is now a paperweight problem, he wouldn't have any of the QWERTY functionality, so I'm really hoping that's not the case. Does anyone know whether or not I'm assuming correctly and if so, any other suggestions as to what could be wrong? It has a Maxtor 6L080 hard drive, so I don't think that's the issue. Could it just be a loose / disconnected ribbon cable somewhere?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stan
lepages

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try starting the machine in test mode. with power off turn the jog/shutle wheel to the 10 oclock position and hold it there, then turn on the machine.
should show all lights and faders should move to the o position.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could it just be a loose / disconnected ribbon cable somewhere?

Anything is possible and it would certainly make sense to simply open up the machine to find out:

1) Setup two end supports (these will only be under the end caps) tall enough to support the machine without it resting on any of the faders, buttons or knobs when the machine is inverted "upside down".

2) Remove only the screws (*there are a bunch) that secure the bottom access cover. Don't remove any of the other screws, set aside the screws, so as not to drop any into the machine.

3) Lift off the access panel and look around in there. There are several ribbon cables with molded connectors, that people have reported coming loose. Check them all and, while you're in there, you may as well replace the clock battery (*that the "set clock" prompt comes up means the battery needs replacement anyway).

As an alternate method to flipping the machine, you can rest it against a wall, but you have to be careful it doesn't slide away from the wall.

johnhavlicek.com
srs4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the responses, especially from you 2 gents.

So, he's already disconnected each ribbon cable, sprayed the connection with deoxit and reassembled everything to no avail. He's also been through the various start up "tricks" having learned them years ago. Also to no avail. Never gets any moving faders or flashing lights.

I was starting to think he had a bad mother board, but I don't remember anyone ever getting to the set clock step with bad mother boards. I thought this problem always presented itself differently. He was always getting to the set clock step, but told me that F5 + F6 wouldn't do anything. I finally had him plug in a PS2 keyboard and suddenly the PS2 keyboard's F5/6 key was able to get him into the set clock function, which really surprised me. A few other functions worked this way that otherwise didn't work on the deeps keys.

That's why this has me really baffled. So, right now I have him pulling out the laptop which I loaded AKSys on a few years ago when I did a session with said laptop and this deeps. I'm curious to see if its still able to communicate with the deeps and if it is capable of any further functionality.

So, does any of this lead anyone to any further conclusions / advice? All is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!

Stan
lepages

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem has jogged my memory. One of the refurbished machines I purchased from VST developed the same issue about 7 years ago. From another DPS machine I began swapping out boards until it was solved. The board in question is the one that holds the emprom chip and is connected to every fader, directly under the faders in the top half of the machine..
After discovering that it was the trouble I ordered an emprom chip from VST and installed it in the troubed board but it had no effect. I now have two working DPS machines and one donor machine (that's missing the emprom board) for situations like this. Good luck, Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: