DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

Massive clicks and pops when transferring tracks via USB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Massive clicks and pops when transferring tracks via USB Reply with quote

Hi All,

It has been awhile, but I am still rockin' the DEEPS. A buddy and I are going to begin working on an album. He doesn't live near me, so there will be a bunch of WAV files being transferred back and forth. Anyway, When I transfer tracks via usb to an old XP computer running the Aksys server, the tracks are clicking and popping like a son of gun. Any idea why that is happening? It sounds like a clocking issue and maybe it is. I use an outboard interface via adat into the DEEPS with the DEEPS being the clock master. Maybe I should unhook the interface when transferring?

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Jeremy
JDM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happens when I export to CD as well. There are absolutely no clicks or pops anywhere in the recordings. What the heck could be causing this?
JDM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a different USB cable... That didn't help. Tried clocking externally and internally and still the same.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clicks and pops are almost definitely a clocking issue, but dumping .wavs shouldn't be a problem at all. Are the .wavs in the same format...say 44.1/24?

-john

johnhavlicek.com
JDM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI John! Yes, the wavs are in 24/44. Attached below is how they are sounding when exported. Sounds like static. Crazy stuff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8suukkrlhcb4bd/Drums%20%28Stereo%29.wav?dl=0
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...well that's not what I thought it was. After listening, it doesn't sound like a clocking issue nor is it digital overs. I have to believe it's a setup issue with a soundcard or driver on the sender's end. Weird stuff, and I don't have any idea what that is.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
JDM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was the sender on that one. I exported that from my dps and sent to him without checking it. But yeah, it is crazy. Maybe my USB port is shot? Or maybe I need to reinstall the aksys drivers? I will try that.
JDM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can import stuff perfectly. Why the freak will it not export correctly! I wonder if it is some kind of grounding issue or something? I do see spikes in the waveforms, but they aren't coming through the audio during playback. I have a bunch of midi sound modules that I have connected to an Ashley line amp that then goes into my profire2626. That goes via adat into the deeps. There might be something there that is causing issues, but why can the issue only be heard when exported?
JDM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted VST to see if they might have an idea.
JDM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after some more troubleshooting, it appears that there is something wrong with the conversion. It works fine if I record at 16 bit and export. It is only when recording at 24bit. It happens whether or not I am using internal or external conversion.
JDM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It happens whether or not I am using internal or external conversion."

This is what really doesn't make any sense. 16bit, whether internal or external, is perfect. No spikes in the waveforms and can be exported perfectly. How could it be a converter issue like I was assuming if the same thing happens when external conversion is used? I wonder if it could be a hard drive issue or something? But if that is the case, why would 16bit not be affected?
JDM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Drive
WDC WD1600AAJB-56R1A
R2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does sound like a conversion mismatch issue. I use an external converter. If I load up a project that has a different sample rate and forget to switch that on the converter, I get all kinds of nasty static. Your problem sounds more complicated than that. Hopefully VST has a solution for you. Good luck.
JDM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi R2,

yeah, it is really weird. Whether internal or external conversion, only 16bit works. What is even weirder is that when recording in 24bit, the sound is great, but there are inaudible spikes in the waveforms that only become apparent when exported. Yeah, I hope VST might have an idea. If it is conversion, I wonder if they can repair it, or will I be SOL? We shall see!

I will keep all informed.

JDM
JDM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a new hard drive... a Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB which was the one that was originally in my deeps. It failed a few years ago and I replaced it with the WD Caviar blue. I just stumbled and found the below link... 5th post down where fellow deepster RoadRunner was getting weird spikes in the waveforms. If a simple Hard drive replacement fixes this, I will be ecstatic. I am not going to get my hopes up but...

http://dpsworld.vibestudio.net/viewtopic.php?t=7934&sid=7bb2f5273ec072d4435124e4c1f707a8

I sent RoadRunner a PM nut not sure if it worked
JDM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not yet heard back from VST, (I sent an email) but that's alright. I am going to try the new Hard Drive first. I should Have it some time next week. If that doesn't fix it, then I will give them a call.
JDM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave at VST got back to me and said that the problem I have sounds like it could be the main board. If that is the case, then I am SOL. My drive should be here in a couple days so we will see what happens after installation. Doesn't sound good though... GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
JimmyLovesPage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new drive will fix it. Seen this before. Good luck!
JDM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyLovesPage wrote:
The new drive will fix it. Seen this before. Good luck!

Hi JimmyLovesPage,

Man, I sure hope that you are right! I just got the hard drive and tonight after work, I am going to install it and give it a full format. You know, thinking back, when I first installed the WD, I thought that maybe my deeps was behaving a little differently, but I just chalked it up to having a much larger hard drive installed.

I am not going to get my hopes up, especially after what VST said, but if it truly works, I will probably shed some serious tears of joy. I am just not yet ready to let the old girl go!

Jeremy
JimmyLovesPage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, no! I love my Deeps. I truly believe it was the pinnacle of stand-alone recording consoles.
JDM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyLovesPage, R2, Havlicek and everyone else who was following this... It's alive.. alive! Jimmy, you were absolutely correct. My Hard drive has solved everything and it is working amazingly! I was up until about 2 AM waiting for the format to complete. I powered down and then powered back on. I didn't plug anything into the deeps but simply armed tracks and recorded to see if the wav's had any weird spikes... they didn't. I powered down and went to bad. Today I tried recording and exporting... perfect! My friend and I are now ready to rock.

I still can't fathom how the previous hard drive put inaudible spikes in the wavforms that only reared their ugly heads during export? I mean the tracks sounded great. Really weird stuff. I guess that I will need to buy some more Maxtor drives which is a shame as the WD drives are definitely much more quiet. I probably just had a bad drive. I think that I have an 80gb WD that I can try out, but I am not going to mess with it at the moment. The Maxtor is fine. It might have just been too large a drive? I only bought that large drive because it was cheap which in and of itself probably says it all haha. Anyway, thanks for the support. I will be sure to post some tunes at some point!

This is one of the happiest days of my life haha. I love the DEEPS!

Jeremy
JimmyLovesPage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, brother. The same thing happened to me. It was doing weird stuff--I even took it to Dave and he did some tests and couldn't figure it out. Then my drive started making weird noises. It was wearing out. So I changed it to a Maxtor 6Y080L0 and all my problems went away, too! I had a Maxtor but mine was the original. Good to hear you're happy and making music. Right on. Now you can Shangri-La beneath the summer moon. ;)
JDM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I changed mine to the Maxtor 6Y080L0 as well. I know that other folks are running the WD Caviar Blues with no problems, but the one I had certainly didn't work. I also noticed today that my midi sync is working perfectly when before I was always futzing with it. Those drives must affect all aspects of the machine. It is interesting how temperamental these things are with different hard drives. Anyway, thanks for the support. I will admit that when you said that a hard drive would fix it, I got my hopes up. Sure enough it did! good stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: