DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

PreSonus StudioLive 32?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Bassie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: PreSonus StudioLive 32? Reply with quote

It's been suggested on this forum that the PreSonus StudioLive 32 may be the successor to the DPS24. After doing a fair amount of research it appears that while the StudioLive has some advantages over the DPS24, there may be quite a bit that those of us who have become comfortable with the AKAI would miss in the PreSonus.....jog/scrub wheel, onboard editing at sample-level, more available effects that just about anyone would need, the ability to create/export WAV files, and I'm sure there's more.

Has anyone seriously looked at the StudioLive32 in anticipation of perhaps changing platforms? I don't think that the PreSonus units have even begun shipping yet, so it may be unlikely that anyone has actually seen or touched one outside of a trade show or factory visit.

Any input from you folks?

Thanks,

Jim
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's been suggested on this forum that the PreSonus StudioLive 32 may be the successor to the DPS24. After doing a fair amount of research it appears that while the StudioLive has some advantages over the DPS24, there may be quite a bit that those of us who have become comfortable with the AKAI would miss in the PreSonus

It's not that the Presonus is a successor to the DPS24, as they're fairly different. The Presonus is superficially "like" the DPS24 in that it's seemingly evolving into a hardware or "standalone" solution, but the Presonus is (*from what little I've seen) seemingly more reliant on a computer. Without going into spec for spec, the one "advantage" the Presonus does have is simply that it's new and current, so it will play well with current computers. It's also being produced by a company that seems to be in better financial shape than Akai was when they released the DPS24 as a sort of "hail mary" play.

The DPS24, amazingly, is still without equal in it's category. The rest of what might be called similar machines have become little more than sketchpads. The DPS24's main problem is simply lack of development and that has become a much bigger issue because using the machine alongside current computers is klutzy, time-consuming and frustrating. Using the DPS24 now is easiest if you only transfer finished files to computer, and then you have to do it by burning a disc. Moving files back and forth means burning more discs. **Of course, any hardware has a finite lifespan also and, at this point, the best "insurance" is to gave a second functioning machine.

I think that, if the DPS24 had been continually developed, it's later generations would probably have looked something like the Presonus...but would have been much better still. Why?...because it started out from a higher standard and was purposely built as a digital multitrack studio-in-a-box from the get go with everything you needed right there.

I think that most anyone who got to use and know the DPS24 would feel like about any "similar" solution was something of a step backwards in at least some ways. The Presonus just seems like what a later DPS24 might have looked like.

Quote:
jog/scrub wheel, onboard editing at sample-level, more available effects that just about anyone would need, the ability to create/export WAV files, and I'm sure there's more.

Sure, but most all of that stuff would be handled, in many/most/all cases even better than what the DPS24 could, even when it can "talk" to computer by usb, ADAT etc. I always thought the DPS24 still worked best *with* a computer also, even though it can do beautiful recordings all by itself. ***Of course, "creating/exporting .wav files" doesn't matter if you're using a computer system or a hardware/computer hybrid system.

***As for what the Presonus "sounds like", their hardware is well known at this point, and generally accepted as very good stuff.

johnhavlicek.com
Mister Bassie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I am grateful for your input. The info you shared was both expected and disappointing. I'm on my 2nd DPS24 now, and even it (your old machine) is acting strangely at times. I was hoping to complete the two projects I'm currently working on in the DPS24 and then purchase...and learn...a new platform. So far, the PreSonus machine is still the front runner, but with it not available yet, and no feedback from the field, an informed decision cannot be made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: