DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

Yamaha Dm2000 and dps24

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlpd3147

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Yamaha Dm2000 and dps24 Reply with quote

Hello gents I just picked up one of these boards in effort to setup a more flexible and efficient input mixer and control surface for my protools rig.
Anyways I've kept my dps24 and I've been thinking about incorporating the dps as a modular hard disk recorder in conjuction with the Dm2000 the same way someone would use an alesis hd24. (Tracking without needing a computer)
I haven't had a chance to try pairing them and seeing if I can control the transport of the dps from the dm2000. But I should soon.
Well to my question.. do you think it would be a viable option to use the dsp like a big tape machine and to mix the outputs of what's inside the dps through the dm2000?
I'm concerned about locking the two so I can actually track into the dps.. I just wanted a better mixer which had more routing flexibility and built in control surface options.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you think it would be a viable option to use the dsp like a big tape machine and to mix the outputs of what's inside the dps through the dm2000?

I'm not sure what actual purpose the DPS24 would serve in this scenario. The DPS24 as *just* a recording device would work fine of course, but you have a Protools setup and presumably a capable interface for that already, so the DPS24's conversion is besides the point...as well as it's recording. With the DM2000, you already have a physical mixer (besides the software mixing inside of PT). The DPS24 is so wonderfully useful because it can do a really good job at conversion, recording, mixing...things you already have. Will it work?...sure. Would it give you capabilities you're missing?...doubtful. Would it streamline the recording process?...just the opposite.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
atlpd3147

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I think I should have been a bit more clearer.
The reason to use the dps as a "recorder" with the dm2000 is all for redundancy.
Yes I have PT and yes it works well. But relying on that setup alone isn't something that sits well with me. I figured having the dps in conjunction with my dm2000 would offer me a backup means to still be able to record and mix a session if my PTL right went down due to some unfortunate crash.
cmaffia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I integrated the DM3200 with my DAW + Interface/Surface Controller for the first few months. The DPS24 was redundant, didn't add any value and only complicated the setup. Unfortunately once you go DAW the workflow is very different from the DP24. Having a DPS24 is by no means redundancy to a PC DAW rig. Is it something you can use if for some reason your PC is down? I suppose but is it worth the space for that rare moment? Downtime on a PC shouldn't be catastrophic if you do proper backups of both your working OS and project files. Parts are easy and inexpensive to replace. What usually goes bad with a PC? Hard drive? Haven't had a failure since 2012.
atlpd3147

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my rig off a mac mini.
Thanks for your reply and input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: