DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

I'll Miss It, And This Place -- DPS24 Mk ii Sold!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1992guitars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: I'll Miss It, And This Place -- DPS24 Mk ii Sold!!! Reply with quote

With happiness to move on and melancholy to see it go, my dearly beloved DPS24 recording deck has been sold to a gentleman in Germany who wanted it enough to pay almost as much for FedEx International shipping as he paid for the unit itself. I made a record on it, learned a lot about recording, stayed up all night on many occasions working on projects and/or making a record (90% of Half Past Midnight was recorded at home), reading the entire instruction manual, and started taking the idea of engineering sound seriously for the first time of my life with that unit, which was the greatest, until quality interfaces & conversion became affordable, and the whole world switched over to DAWs. The "deeps" became like an old friend and will always hold a special place in my heart. We did this together, but I couldn't have done it at all if not for all of you here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_trJXgZSI
Don

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care and stop in.
1992guitars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. I wrote the buyer a detailed letter with all the history of mine, and letting him know about this forum, even though it's more of a legacy now than an active place to get quick answers to Deeps questions. I know registration is closed, but maybe Josef from Germany will be stopping by to experience some of the support and community I felt here for nearly 10 years.

I moved to an Apollo Twin to get started and have a mobile rig. I'm sure in time I may very well move to a more detailed home setup with some outboard converters and pres (I already have a couple good pres that were amassed during the DPS years; it really is the deck I learned about recording and some semblance of engineering on)

Best,

Sean
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does my heart good to see the units changing hands, rather than just being discarded as so many other pieces of technology are. I have some old...er..."info" on exactly what the developers went through to produce this machine, and trust me when I tell you that there will never ever be anything like it again. The DPS24 was the result of a "whatever it takes to simply produce the best and we don't give a damn about anything else" attitude on the part of some very talented people. That just doesn't happen very often in the corporate world.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: