DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

DPS24...Meet Your Son

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: DPS24...Meet Your Son Reply with quote

Remember when, and how often the demise of the hardware DAW was predicted? Well, no one told Presonus, and they've continued to develop until their StudioLive 32 is now capable of multitrack recording...onboard to smart media. Being able to record multitrack audio onboard *with no computer* is being advertised as some sort of accomplishment. :) I think this is sort of what they call "convergent evolution", and you could see this coming for a while now. Think of a DPS24 expanded and up to what modern recordists are looking for. Akai...you created the best, you abandoned it, you screwed up royally.

http://presonus.com/products/StudioLive-32

-john

johnhavlicek.com
Don

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Akai...you created the best, you abandoned it, you screwed up royally.

Looks like it is what the DPS 24 would have been if they just would have continued.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Don. It was a digital mixer with the ability to send the audio at it's master out by usb. Now, as they expanded/developed the mixer, they've also expanded/developed the recording aspect onboard. With everyone else having abandoned the market (*except for the inexpensive and stripped-down few remaining stand alone recorders), it makes sense that Presonus did this.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
lepages

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I personally believe that it won't be long before we see another "all in one" . "
That's a quote from me from John's "Well it's with great sadness" thread. Presonus is a great company. I mean why not an all in one, DAW software is common place, processor speeds, memory and hard drive real estate has become a non issue and all the electronics and manufacturing costs have become affordable to the mainstream public.. But does it have balanced inserts? Dave.
playinbass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting for sure. I know decisions must be made when making these things. The only thing I don't see is any adat connectivity.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...any single feature (balanced inserts, ADAT connectivity) is really besides the point guys. I'm not trying to sell the machine here, but it's really about Presonus moving ever so surely towards producing what was considered as extinct as a dodo bird. I don't think the machine has any inserts at all, but it does have 32 mic/line ins (!) and 16 of something called "mix outs", 12 of which are balanced XLR (I guess some sort of group outs or something)...and a healthy number of other ins and outs. It seems that Presonus will continue to develop the thing, so who knows where it will end up. ***Remember, even when the DPS24 was new and "amazing", there was no shortage of people who always wanted more. :) Maybe they'll expand the computer-connectivity thing beyond usb, and there are AES and Networking ports, although again, I have no idea about the deep details here, just that the machine itself is cool in general terms.

johnhavlicek.com
aido43

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting--I think theres still a market for all in one and Presonus have taken the next logical step.
playinbass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to see someone has decided that there is a market for the all in ones. For all the plusses that computers bring to recording (well, mostly editing and mixing) the constant upgrade path that software companies force on users get's tiring, not to mention expensive. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I just want a stable system with plug in's that continue to work.

I swear I've been thinking of going back to my 4 track reel to reel in an attempt to focus on the music and less on the "recording". I miss the days when we'd slug it out for as long as it took to finish a song in a day. No coming back in to comp parts weeks later ---- when it was done we let it be done! :-)
cmaffia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of both worlds but not sure this will evolve into full all-in-one. I like the idea of tracking internally and exporting with all settings to your DAW (although I'm sure that the mixer parameter transfer only is compatible with Studio One). Also like that you can breath life into old iPads and use them as additional displays. Its' very slick. Not sure how flexible routing is and also not thrilled no 24bit/96kHz resolution. Contrary to countless debates, personally I hear a huge difference between 88.1/96kHz projects vs 44.1/48Khz projects. Overall I'd consider the next generation or so of this type of design as a replacement to what I have today.
Ian_Oz in_London

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Have not been in for a while but often think about you all. Still have my two Akai DPS24s. Some news/update on what I have been up to these past two years. I have been concentrating on custom pickup winding and guitar building. Not promotional here as I am not releasing them for sale, but wonderful that two of my prototype handcrafted guitars went on tour throughout Europe this summer with Rihanna, Bibi Bourelly and Shakka and studio recordings in London's Metropolis Studios with new Disney artist, Alex Maxwell. British guitarist Mafro Waters is currently playing a gold Pattersonic https://www.facebook.com/matthew.m.waters.7

Looking forward to having more time to record again!!!

Cheers to everyone!
Ian Patterson
London
wretchasketch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but how does it sound? Everyone is making digital mixers these days. Walk around and control it with the iPad. I noticed Behringer has one with an expansion slot. There is a 3rd party making a card for the slot where you can record the tracks to an SD card. So there are some stand alone options out there. If any of them are truly a son of the dps24, it will need to have that special something that make computer interfaces sound flat in comparison. I'm not shelling out the dough to find out. Somebody give it a shot and get back to us ;)
Mister Bassie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tempting.....

If I can sell my 2 DPS24's I'll be half-way there.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but how does it sound? Everyone is making digital mixers these days.

Presonus has been in the digital mixer game for while a while now, and their mixers sound fine, so it's not like the "sound" is an unknown.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
JDM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my DEEPS possibly being on the skids, I must admit that I am intrigued with this.
beht

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just a few days ago got Pro Tools. Haven't tested it out yet (not like I know how yet), but I had to get it because my track count for a huge project is just not going to cut it at 24 tracks. I got the software only and am still recording with the Deeps though.
wretchasketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed Presonus has now included SD card recording on their 24 and 16 track version. Other digital mixers (Allen and Heath-Soundcraft) that have come out since this post are capable of recording to a usb device without a computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: