DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

DPS IS THE BEST-MUSICDUDE PAUL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicdude-Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: DPS IS THE BEST-MUSICDUDE PAUL Reply with quote

Hello all. It has been a very, very, very long time since Iíve been here because I lost my username and password. This morning, searching for some old DPS master tracks, I came across my user name and password and I couldnít believe it worked. Iíve done a lot of lurking over the years, but couldnít speak back. Now that I am here, I just want say thank you to all the people that helped me with the DPS over the years and explain what Iíve been up to lately.

The DPS and this board taught me how to produce records. Really good records. A little over two years ago, after almost 10 years of use, my DPS motherboard bit the dust so I was forced to make a change. Looking forward to all of the technology, I chose to get into a DAW.

At first I used Reaper on a PC, but last year upgraded to Pro Tools 12, iMac and Raven MTI2. Hereís the good part. With all of the fancy doodads and plugins, I am still not convinced that I am producing as good quality recordings with Pro Tools as I did with the DPS. In fact, I am using an Apollo Twin and I swear, the preamps on the DPS are much better than UAís classic preamp emulations.

Here is my dilemma. I have some original tracks that were recorded on the deeps that I desperately need to fix for a personal project I am working on. They are all backed up onto CDís, but I have no way to get them from the cdíd into Pro Tools. So, I am considering getting the DPS fixed by the boys out in LA to bring it back to new condition so I can retrieve the tracks.

But hereís another idea. I will gladly give my broken DPS24 mk1(one owner, me) to anyone who will take my CD backups (about 5 songs) and export them to broadcast wave files so that I can use them in Pro Tools as stems. Iíll even pay for shipping the deeps (US only). Right now, the DPS is packed up in the original box and ready to go.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i could help, but my machine is gone now. Still, this is a perfect example of why exporting the wavs of each project is a better way of preserving the projects than doing project backups. The only downside is that you would have to remix a project to use those files...but I always thought that was a "good thing".

-john

johnhavlicek.com
musicdude-Paul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, thanks for the reply. I actually have all of the track available, but of course, there is no timing to the tracts so it is almost impossible to line everything up and remix. Would be easier to just re-record the song from scratch. Guess I'll see if Dave will take this thing off my hands for parts. Hope you are doing well.
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what you *could* do is:

* Open the tracks in your DAW
* Pick a point in the tracks to move backwards from to a point just before the start and mark that with a click or a pop
* Line the tracks up manually.

Alternately I think many (most? all?) DAWs can generate a grid that should work to line the tracks up. It seems to me that you should be able to get everything working without too much difficulty.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: