DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

How To Remove Circuit Board For Capacitors...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1992guitars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: How To Remove Circuit Board For Capacitors... Reply with quote

Question....

Since my DPS24 is for sale and I loathe the idea of sending it out with a whimper, I am trying to figure out a way to have the 10 capacitors replaced on the main CPU, as explained in the Sticky thread "Still Hearing Static."

My Deeps has long been affected by the dreaded static (and yes, only on the odd channels, and yes, it gets louder after warming up). The diagnosis fits the description perfectly but soldering on a circuit board is well beyond my area of skill and I don't want to fry the thing rendering it useless....

I got the name of a studio guy here in Nashville (where I live) who could work on it --- and I have secured the proper Kemet capacitors to do so ---- but figure that without a proper harness, any repair guy would probably prefer to only see the main CPU board from the unit, or possibly, I'm not entirely opposed to padding it very safely and securely, to send to Dave at VST....either way I'd like to get the board out of the unit to keep the rest of it safe locally (in the absence of a harness), or avoid a $200 shipping fee to send the entire heavy unit to California.

Not really sure. It may not be worth the cost of a repair in order to sell these days, but if anyone does have suggestions on how I might go about removing the cables and screws and getting the CPU out of the unit, I'm entertaining the possibilities.....

Or may just sell it as is for a little less....

Sean
Havlicek
Dps24 Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done what you're asking about, so I can't be of any help on that. I did want to just say that selling really depends on finding someone who understands recording well...if not this particular machine. The capabilities of just the machine are still pretty amazing and, if you have a suitable PC for flying the files back and forth, even more so. It may be seen as passe' by computer-recording gurus, but the DPS24 can produce recordings easily on a par with the best computer-based solutions. There are no doubt some "conveniences" that present themselves when recording directly to computer, but there are also some headaches that the DPS24 avoids. At this point, the only real issue to worry about is longevity, since all hardware has a finite life-span. Whether you get the machine fixed or decide to sell as-is, you need to do a good job of marketing the thing, because a lot of people have no idea of what the DPS24 is all about...the absolute gold-standard in standalone DAWs.

-john

johnhavlicek.com
1992guitars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I think so [it's the gold standard] too. I'm officially saying it's for sale and put it up on Reverb & the Musicians Union here in Nashville, as well as posted here....

I realize they're not selling for very much money at all these days (the last one I saw on eBay was a Mk i that the high bid for was $500), and the sad reality is flying files back and forth is a major hassle and I simply need compatibility with what other studios and folks in town are on....both for workflow and to keep moving forward on the freelance musician career front....if I were anywhere else doing anything else for a living I would never part with the thing....under the circumstances, Pro Tools is imminent.

I realize there are still a few posts here now and again but I think as much as I'll miss the DPS, I'll miss this forum too....it really was what I thought the Internet should always be about and connected a lot of helpful and kind-hearted folks who were of invaluable assistance to me as I learned the Deeps, and along the way, how to get sounds and engineer.

I'll probably still check back in here though, well after the Deeps has a new home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: