DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

Installed New HD-Some Surprising Observations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Installed New HD-Some Surprising Observations Reply with quote

I recently replaced the original hd with a Maxtor 80G. Thanks to this place, it went well and I'm up and running again.

The Maxtor is so much quieter than the old drive. I really appreciate that. I've also observed a couple of surprising results of the change.

My #1 input was always kind of noisy. Even without a signal, the green light would be flickering constantly. This would also show on the meter. That is now gone.

I was having a noise problem using the multi band compressor on projects set at 48k or greater. That problem is now gone.

Not sure how changing a hd could have made a difference with either of these two issues, but I'll take it. Mr. Green

One thing that has always bugged me about the DPS was the lack of a shut down procedure. It always seemed so abrupt to me. This is even more apparent with the new drive. There is an audible click/snapping sound when I power off. I guess I shouldn't worry about it, but I do.

Anyway, that's it. Just wanted to share this with you all.

Roger
Peakly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! Very cool to read. It's amazing what installing that new hd did for your machine.

Thanks for sharing this info. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Good luck with all your recordings! thumbsup

Mychal
R2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mychal.
Don

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What specific drive did you put in? Was it the Maxtor 6LO80LO?

Also wondering if anyone has used a larger size drive successfully? So any responses are appreciated.

My drive is working fine but it's just a matter of time, so I do believe in preventive maintenance.

Thanks
R2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don, I guess I threw away the packaging it came in. I don't remember the exact model #. I'd have to open up the machine to get the #. Sorry. I purchased it probably 10 yrs or more ago and remember it being hard to find then. I'm pretty sure it was on a list of preferred drives that I found on this site. The original drive was an Hitachi Deskstar 40G.

Roger
R2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the sticky "Compatible Replacement Parts". After looking at that, I'm pretty sure mine was the 6Y080L0. Popman also had a drive recommendation. Good luck!
Don

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Deskstar

LOL Yes I remember how everyone back in the day, referred to it as the Deathstar.

I think that it is the Maxtor 6LO80LO, so don't open up your machine. LOL. I replaced mine back when Akai provided us all with the option.

So I will take a gander inside before searching for a backup one.......unless someone else found a newer or larger alternative.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting R2. I've had that new drive in a drawer for years too. I'm not really having any problems except it seems the drive is slightly noisier. Guess I'll swap that out now.
R2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Scott. The actual changing out of the hd is pretty easy. The backing up of projects and reformatting the new drive is very time consuming. In my case, well worth it. I know this is going to sound kind of dippy, but my machine just seems happier with the new drive in it. It's so much quieter and all the functions seem faster and smoother. some of that is probably my imagination, but not all of it. Maybe the "happier machine" part. Embarassed

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: