DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

windows 7 and aksyserver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metric_hat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: windows 7 and aksyserver Reply with quote

for some reason my new computer with windows 7 wont install or do anything when i plug
the dps in. anyone have this problem?

i installed everything the way im supposed to, well i think haha.
thatbastarddon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been problems for people running windows7 64bit builds trying to run aksys.
Windows7 32bit builds seem to function well.
I am not experienced in this personally...yet, as i still run xp.
I do remember reading that there are different versions of windows7 64bit, one or two of wich have the ability to run things in 32bit mode.
A forum search may yield a couple of threads on the subject that contain the details.

Don
Popmann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...Dan...you might put a sticky. It won't run in 64bit Windows, because it needs to install a 32bit DRIVER--it's not just software that can run on WOW (windows on windows) 32bit emulation.

The Server App, which is all I've used runs perfectly fine in "xp mode"....which would be the same as any third party XP virtual machine you might run. I've been meaning to get the guys at work to look at launching just the app in VM mode...but, I think configuring the drives would be kinda weird since they all show as "F$ on client" and such, and there's no browse.

That's probably TMI...but, suffice to say-running in a 32bit VM is the only solution for a 64bit Windows OS. And I don't know how well the real time full app would do in a VM.
shockwave199
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! Consider this topic stuck.

Dan
metric_hat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess i have the 64bit version that doesnt work. that sucks.
db9091

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get Compatibility Mode to work with transferring files though. But upgrading to WIn Pro and using the VIrtual XP mode works with file transfers on a 64 bit box. Hope that helps.
Popmann

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compatibility mode won't work because that is for the application layer of the OS...and what the Akai software relies on is a 32 bit device driver. By definition, a driver becomes part of the OS-it's how it talks to the hardware...in this case the dps24 via USB. There will never be a way to load a 32bit driver into a 64bit OS.

For the same reason I had to retire Gigastudio, which also used a 32bit kernel mode driver to stream from the hard drive.
Brucesky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I got AKSYS working with WIN7 64bit using the lastest VirtualBox virtual machine software. It's free. Be sure to install the guest additions.

Bruce
45 North Keyboardist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm going to do a complete upgrade and will document some step by step instructions on this post to share the wealth. This will be my first Wintel system for recording in 10 years... wish me luck.
Have Rig Will Travel.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
45 North Keyboardist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Machine with Windows XP-64. Using Akai.sys and the DPS24 program with all the monitoring tools would not work. When I upgraed to Windows 7-64 Bit I couldn't use it either. This is a consistent issue.

However, Windows-7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate Versions have Windows XP Compatibility Mode. Sometimes it installs but I had to go on Microsoft's Website and download it after looking and looking for it.

Bit of a Pain in the A$$

Okay so this compatibility mode works strangely too. It will detect the DPS24 but you have to install the DPS24 USB drivers in this compatibility mode consistently. I've not been able to get the drivers to stick in that mode so it sees it.

Additionally, when running in XP Compatibly mode which is a 32-bit emulation layer on top of Windows-7 Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise the monitoring and lag of this feature made it extremely unusable with 8-cores, 4GB, and lots of HD space.

I imagine this is lag comes from the software layer created by it.

My advice is to get an old box and just run it in Windows 2000 or something and keep on making music.

I'm going to try this process and see if I can send that across the network with a virtual desktop by logging into that box remotely on Windows from my Mac that I love.

I hope the refresh rate is a little better that way.
Have Rig Will Travel.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Popmann

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...you basically ignored the sticky and decided you would try despite a Microsoft certified, 15 year IT professional laying that out for you? Good luck with that. was the logic that maybe I didn't know what I was doing or running full suite would somehow work when the simple server app doesn't? They use the same driver, FWIW.

So much for saving time. Allow me to save more...winXP is over a decade old now...older than the Akai itself. Don't install Windows 2000 on ANYTHING...bad idea...the Akai software was written and tested for XP, which is fundamentally different in its programming APIs available to the coders from NT/2k.

MS's RDC client for Mac is freely downloadable. Used it all the time to connect to Win machines at work. Never attempted to connect to a Win machine here...let alone run a monitoring app.

These applications rely on a 32bit driver...as such they must have a 32bit OS. That can be in a virtual machine. You Mac...intel chip? Get a virtual XP machine on it. Run Akai.sys on that. Assign the VM to one of your cores...and it will be like running an old P4, only right on your machine.
AndyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brucesky wrote:
Guys,

I got AKSYS working with WIN7 64bit using the lastest VirtualBox virtual machine software. It's free. Be sure to install the guest additions.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Are you able to expand upon this a bit further? I am a newb trying to hook my DPS up to my WIN7 64 bit i7 laptop so I can interact with Ableton Live a little more effectively when transferring wav files. I recognise I am punching way above my weight here, is there a "VirtualBox for idiots" manual somewhere? :)

Thanks,
Andrew
Popmann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

If you select the "I just want Virtual PC"--it will give you the underlying technology for free. At that point, VPC (which used to BE third party, FWIW-they bought it because it was the best emulator, and they saw that they would need emulation tech under the OS hood)...you have all you need outside of a valid WinXP disc/key. Which you would need for ANY emulation tech.

I'm not sure what the point of trying to get a third party emulator to work and THEN using an existing XP license would be when VPC gives you that already. Feel free to correct me if there's something I'm missing about the other x86 emulators...

If you are going to spend any money, I'd call MS and ask about how much it would cost to add XPmode to an existing install. It used to be able to be done online as an upgrade in place. That's changed now because all links lead to buy Win8.

But, all "XPMode" is two components....1) the FREE to all WIn7 users Virtual PC install...and 2) a preconfigured/licensed (thus "idiot proof") disc image of an XP install that requires 64bit Pro or Ultimate. Which you STILL have download as well. I know--I kept a copy because I thought that was weird that it wasn't actually ON the Ultimate DVD I have.
sloppysmusic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, had some major hardware failures recently so decided to move my main video editing/photo pc into the studio and use that to get all my work back of the Deeps.
So I needed both aksys to work without problems AND all my modern software to run for sony vegas/lightroom 64 bit etc.

The final perfect solution, which took a while to actually arrive at, was a dual boot Win 7 machine, 32 bit AND 64 bit.
All HD's are no SSD's, so I can switch between the two boots extremely quickly (am writing this on the 32 bit).
Its never worked so well so am keeping this PC in here permanently.

Works pretty well without effort, but if the Deeps comes 'unstuck' the following works all the time:

1) Boot Win7/32 bit.
2)Turn Deeps On.
3) Plug Deeps into PC (actually using Blackwidow Ultimate KB USB expansion socket - kb plugged into USB 3 socket - its right next to my fingers
4) Run aksys
5) Get to work.

I have vista business and w7 home licences. I originally got this working pretty well with a W7/Vista dual boot, but vista 32 bit drivers were driving (natch) me nuts so wiped the partition and put W7 32 bit on there.
Only one phone call to Microsoft was necessary, and that was when I was trying to dual boot Vista 64/32 bit. For heavens sake DONT go down that road...nightmare.

Did I mention I am loving this setup? Cant wait to start recording again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: