DPS World Forum Index
Main FAQ Search Groups Members List Profile Private Messages
Log-in Register

DPS World Forum Index

**COMPATABLE REPLACEMENT PARTS**

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shockwave199
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: **COMPATABLE REPLACEMENT PARTS** Reply with quote

It was suggested a sticky for this topic and I agree. So, whatever anyone can contribute would be great. Fuses, hard drives, cd drives- whatever. One thread would make it really convenient. Tell us the part, where we might get it, and which machine it worked in, MKl or MKll or both.

Thanks all!

Dan
songmaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: CD-R replacement Reply with quote

FYI,

Just moved and reset up my studio and had a chance to finally replace the CD-R drive from my DPS24 Mk1 that was not allowing me to do back-ups...the old drive would give me a medium error message 1/2 -3/4 way thru the verify process...any way I replaced the Plextor plexwriter 48/24/48 with a Plextor plexwriter 52/24/52A cd-r that I purchased from Electronics Plus ( internet co. ) the unit cost me $ 44.10 shipping included no tax...

The new drive is working flawlessly and I have backed up 5 projects successfully so far...

and thanks so much for the heads up on setting the jumper to slave...

hope this is helpful

Mark
Don Schenk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Source of compatible hard drives Reply with quote

I was having issues with the DPS24 periodically locking up and giving this message:

"Automate/Automate.c.456: FAILED Assertion 'mag->data !=0'"

Eventually the deeps wouldn't work at all, and would only give me that error message.

Previously I had work done on the deeps by the folks at VST in Pasadena, CA (Virtual Sound Technologies)when the IC protector fuse in the power supply had gone out, so I called them.

Technician Dave Segimoto explained the deeps all have issues with (and won't work correctly) with some hard drives. He said there is a list of drives on the akaipro.com website. So I went searching.

Sure enough, Akai only recommends two drives for the deeps...

Maxtor 4R080L0 80GB and/or Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB. These are PATA (IDE) drives no longer manufactured.

A quick check online revealed amazon.com as a source. It seems several independent drive sellers offer the drives, but the prices range anywhere from $20 to $85.

I decided to take a chance on the $20 drive from GoHarddrive.com through the Amazon site. They advertised these as being new drives. Sure enough, it was new.

I installed the Maxtor 4R080L0, it works like a charm, so I bought another one as a spare.

:-Don

Last edited by Don Schenk on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Popmann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best drives are WD Caviar Blue 160gb. Quiet. I bought two back in the day, when the PC world switched to SATA. Pretty sure they're still available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136112

The Akai will format and see it's maximum available at 120gb of useable space.

I also had a Maxtor 80gb (currently installed in the unit)...quieter than stock...not as quiet or big as the WD Blue.

For the record, to my knowledge, the "incompatible drives" are simply Seagate. They did something borderline non standard to their ATA chipsets of the era to make them perform better in PCs...makes it not work correctly in the Akai. Point being: I think if you avoid Seagate...I think it's misleading that the DPS is incompatible with a lot of drives--Seagate MAKES a lot of drives, therefore it may be true, but it's easier to just say it's incompatible with Seagate drives. I know I have had an IBM, two different maxtors, and 2 of the same WDs...all work...with varying sizes and amounts of noise. The rule has worked for me for a decade--just avoid Seagate. Feel free anyone to chime in if you've had compatibility issues with something that isn't a Seagate...
JimmyLovesPage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had numerous issues of which the biggest was not being able to do backups. I had a Maxtor 6LO80LO HD installed since I owned it. I installed a 6YO80LO and all issues went away. Works like a charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPS World Forum Index -> DPS 24 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: